A case for FTT-200 uses
The practical application of the FTT-200 keyboard command programmable foot pedal.
The FTT-200 foot pedal is a unique device. It has three programming modes for sending keyboard keystrokes. The modes are sequential, immediate, and keyboard.
An example of the use of sequential mode would be printing a document. A document can be printed by keystroke using ctrl-p and <enter>. Ctrl-p is a hotkey that calls up the printer window. Windows defaults to the “OK” button, so pressing “OK” or <enter> after the print window opens would execute a print command and close the window. In Sequential mode the first press of the foot pedal would send a ctrl-p. The next press of the foot pedal would send an <enter>. Pressing the pedal again would start back at the beginning of the sequence with a ctrl-p.
Immediate mode sends a string of characters in one press. For example, d-o-g would be sent as “dog” with a single press of the foot pedal. Up to 30 characters can be sent in the immediate mode.
Keyboard mode behaves just like a keyboard. If shift-g is used (which is actually capital g or “G”) for example, the foot pedal behaves exactly like a keyboard would. A single press yields a single “G”. A prolonged press, and the foot pedal goes into repeat mode just like the keyboard would (GGGGGGGGGGGGGG).
The applications for such a foot pedal device are as varied as the imagination.
- The sequential ctrl-p & <enter> example has been used in the health care industry for printing documents.
- Another sequential example would be toggling in and out of a certain mode in a CAD program. Ctrl-F4 and ctrl-F5 toggles a layout mode on and off in a CAD application.
- The Immediate mode has been used to replace a serial foot pedal in an industrial control upgrade application. The string “down” is sent to a machine control computer to execute a cutting function.
- The keyboard mode has been used in both the financial industry and emergency call center applications for PTT (Push to Talk) in voice communication applications.
- Forms have been more efficiently filled out by using key in keyboard mode.